85 Pound Bag/1 Cu. Ft.; No Returns
- Manganese Green Sand Water Treatment Media:
- Manganese Greensand filtration media is used for the reduction of iron, hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell), and manganese. Manganese Greensand is the single best method for removing these contaminants in higher concentrations and when other filter media will not quite work.
- Manganese Greensand is regenerated with potassium permanganate. It is advisable to vigorously backwash and regenerate the Manganese Greensand bed when it is placed in service and before the oxidation capacity is totally exhausted. To operate the bed after its oxidation capacity is exhausted may reduce its service life.
- Filter cartridges and exchange tanks are generally filled completely with Manganese Green Sand media. Whereas, automatic regenerating systems like water softeners and automatic carbon systems need space to expand during backwashing. You should not fill these systems to the top with Manganese Greensand media.
- Manganese Greensand is capable of removing up to 15 ppm of iron and manganese, 5 ppm of hydrogen sulfide. Ph must be between 6.2 and 8.5 for the media to operate effectively.
- Manganese Greensand is formulated from a glauconite greensand which is capable of removing iron, manganese and hydrogen sulfide from water through oxidation and filtration. Manganese and soluble iron are oxidized and precipitated by contact with higher oxides of manganese on the greensand granules. The hydrogen sulfide is eliminated by oxidation to sulfate and an insoluble precipitate. When the manganese greensand bed is saturated, it is regenerated with a weak potassium permanganate solution which is rinsed down the drain.
- pH Requirements: Raw waters having a natural pH of 6.2 or above can be passed through manganese greensand without pH correction; water with a pH lower than 6.2 should be pH corrected to 6.2-6.5 before treatment with manganese greensand. If a pH higher than 6.5 is desired in the water system, the additional alkali should be added following the filter due to the possible adverse reaction (formation of colloid) that sometimes occures with the iron and alkali at a pH above 6.5.
- Manganese Greensand Water Filtration Media Capacity:
- Capacity/Cu. Ft.:
Iron Alone--550 gr. (10.000 gal. Of water conditioning 1 ppm iron/cu. Ft.)
Iron and Manganese--400 gr. (7,000 gal of water containing 1/2 ppm iron and 1/2 ppm manganese/ cu. Ft.)
Hydrogen Sulfide - 175 gr. (3,000 gal. Of water containing 1 ppm hydrogen sulfide/ cu. Ft)
- Manganese Greensand Water Treatment Media Characteristics:
- Color: black
- Bulk Density: 85 lbs./cu. ft.
- Specific Gravity: 2.4
- Effective Size: .30 - .35 mm
- Uniformity Coefficient: 1.6
- Mesh Size: 16 - 60
- Hardness: 6 – 7 (Mohs scale)
- Manganese Greensand Water Treatment Media Specifications:
- Water pH range: 6.2 – 8.5
- Bed depth: 30 in.
- Freeboard: 50% of bed depth (min.)
- Service flow rate: 3 – 5 gpm/sq. ft.
- Backwash flow rate: 10 – 12 gpm/sq. ft.
- Backwash expansion rate: 40% of bed depth
- UPC: 689466299670
- Manufacturer: Tier1 52001