- Plumber's Tape Information:
- The dimensions of the Plumber's Tape are 0.5" W x 520" L.
- Plumber's tape is a very thin white tape used to wrap the threaded ends of pipes to improve the water tightness of a joint. It helps to seal pipe threads being joined together for plumbing purposes.
- Plumber's Tape is technically known as PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene). It is silky in texture and breaks in a stringy manner (strong in tension). Plumber's tape is sold in small rolls.
- Do not use regular, white, plumber's tape on gas connections. Plumber's tape comes in handy for installing water filtration systems and replacing water filters.
- Plumber's Tape Specs:
- Dimensions: 0.5" W x 520" L
- 4 Mil
- Meets Mil Spec T-27730a
- Part #: T05521
- Manufacturer: Tier1 T05521
- Plumber's Tape Wrapping Instructions:
- Start wrapping the male threads at end of the pipe but do not lap over the end. Doing so may result in reduced water pressure or even clogs from bits of the tape that get into the water supply.
- Start with a couple loops around at the end, then wrap all the threads, overlapping half the width of the tape on each wind.
- Wrap in the direction of the threads starting from the end and proceeding toward the length of the pipe. Wrapping the wrong way may result in the tape coming unwound as the fittings are tightened.
- As you wrap, keep tension on the tape so that it is pulled into the threads.
- If you loosen or disconnect a fitting, remove the old tape and re-wrap with a fresh piece.