Water Filters for Charity (How do we afford donations on all orders?)
Water Filters and Home Water Filter Systems Water Filters and Home Water Filter Systems WaterFilters.NET | One of the Inc. Magazine 500 fastest growing companies in America.

M - F 7am - 7pm CST
Water Filter Low Price Guarantee
Water Filtration Search
Water Filter Free Shipping

Home†>†Water University†>†Water Filter Videos†>†RUSCO Spin Down and Sediment Trapper Systems Video

RUSCO Spin Down and Sediment Trapper Systems Video

Welcome to the RUSCO Spin Down and Sediment Trapper Systems Video Page. The Rusco Spin-Down Filters and Rusco Sediment Trapper Filters are made of high impact polymer resin. The inlet/outlet body of the Rusco is made of PVC. Rusco sediment filters use centrifugal separation technology to filter sediment from water. They are available with a polyester or stainless steel filter element and are cleanable and reusable. The clear cover facilitates visual inspection of sediment build up and easy cleaning with no tools. Rusco Spin Down Filters have an open ball valve to easily flush sediment. When full, simply open the ball valve to flush.

RUSCO Spin Down and Sediment Trapper Systems Video Transcript

Hey everyone; Aquaman here with Water Wisdom sponsored by WaterFilters.NET. Todayís product is the RUSCO sediment filter. Now Iíve got 2 different versions here that I want to talk about. For starters, weíll start with the sediment trapper. Now the reason itís called the trapper, is there is literally, as you can see here, there is a void space beneath the element that is there specifically to trap the sediment. That space is not found on the regular spin down version of the filter. See, no void space below the element, this is all element. So this is called the spin down, and this is called the trapper. So, if you have one of these and youíre looking for a replacement element, it does actually use a different element, and you need to order according to your proper system. Now they come in a variety of inlet/outlet sizes, and if the system has a unique inlet/outlet size, the element matches that. In other words, if you have a ĺ inch inlet/outlet then you need to order an element for a ĺ inch inlet/outlet system. Itís going to be a different size element if this inlet/outlet is a 1.5 inch or 2 inches. They are available in ĺ, 1 inch, 1.5 and 2 inch inlet/outlet size. So, it matters; now the best way to verify what you have, is of course to identify if you have a trapper or a regular spin down. But then also remove the element and measure it. Let me show you how thatís done. Youíre going to unscrew this cover, thatís what itís called, and the element is attached to the body. There is an O-ring that is a tight fit up inside here. It doesnít fall off; remove that. Now measure this for length. The length is going to tell us at WaterFilters.NET everything we need to know. If itís going to be a 1.5 inch system this is going to be about 8 inches long, and if itís a 2 inch inlet/outlet system this will be more like 10 inches long. So, measure the length of your element and we can get you what youíre looking for. Now as you can see, these systems assemble and disassemble very easily. Iím going to put the cover back on. They come with a valve that obviously attaches to the bottom of this cover. Now thereís an interesting thing; weíve had a number of calls about broken valves. The reason for that is; folks are not following the instructions. The instructions are here, every box comes with one, and it specifically states that, of course you are supposed to use Teflon tape which Iím not going to do right now, but you understand on the threads you are going to wrap Teflon tape on there. And then youíre going to screw the valve on there, and youíre going to leave threads remaining visible. This is specifically what the instructions say. Itís important! If you crank this valve all the way down so you canít see any threads, itís very likely that this valve is going to crack. I donít know why they designed it that way, you know, I kind of wish they didnít, because, you know it would just be easier. You just screw it on until you canít screw it on anymore, but thatís not what they did and the instructions say so, so donít do it. Leave some threads remaining visible, and you wonít have to worry about it, ok. So, youíve got your valve and then you can attach a hose to this or just leave it open like this and every now and then the trap will fill up and of course the element will collect some crud as well. You simply open the valve up and purge the crud out of your filter system. Now in some cases if you are filtering out fine particulate and you have a very fine element like the 1000 mesh is equal to 15 microns, thatís as tight as they come, that element is probably going to need to be removed periodically and actually physically cleaned. The purging probably wonít be sufficient. Just depends on the type of contaminant that youíre removing. I donít usually recommend these be used on situations, or rather in situations where the sediment is extremely fine particle like silt, clay, or really fine stuff like that. Theyíre not great for that. Theyíre much more perfectly suited, in fact, for large particles. Sand and heavy stuff like rust possibly is usually 25-50 micron particle size. Thatís the perfect application. Farmers often use these as protection for the orifices on their sprinkler systems, and even residential home owners can do the same thing for their sprinkler systems buried in their yard. To protect those orifices from clogging, you need to filter that water. Now you may have noticed that this unit here, this trapper has a stainless steel element. The screen on the outside is stainless steel, whereas on this spin down unit, the element is polyester. Itís plastic. The only difference here is that the stainless steel is going to withstand higher flow rates without the danger of breaking the screen and the screen collapsing. Now these are pretty solid, and Iíve not yet had anyone call us and say my polyester element failed because it just collapsed. You know, they do wear out, and under high flow situations, high pressure situations Iíd recommend you go with the stainless steel. If itís just youíre average every day run of the mill application the polyester will be fine; really slick units. There are some other options available that I donít have here in front of me but there are sun covers that are available that can darken and protect the unit from UV rays. This is especially important in warm climates where there is the danger of algae growing inside if you have sunlight exposed on it all day round; so having the sun covers available. There is a pretty expensive little unit that will automatically open and close a valve, so you would no longer need this valve mechanism. You would attach a special mechanism that then runs into a little control box that you set, and based on the amount of time it will automatically open the valve and flush the system for you. So, youíre paying approximately $400 bucks for that thing, I think, or something like that, but depending on the application it may be something you want to look into. So, youíve got your spin down systems, youíve got your trapper systems available in ĺ, 1 inch, 1.5 and 2 inch inlet/outlet sizes. Iím your host Aquaman and thanks for watching!

See all varieties of RUSCO product here.